May 19, 2012

Through the Stages 5: Finished at Last!

Well, this particular batik went through many more "Ugly" stages than I anticipated, but it is finished at last. I am not thrilled by my results, not enough to justify the enormous expense of framing it just so I can validate my reasons for keeping it. After all, everything looks better framed.

I think it is about time that I consider an online store or maybe selling it on Etsy. I have maybe six or seven batiks that I am willing to sell for the right price.

It is always hard to let my artwork go. If I love it, I will not part with it. If I hate it, I certainly don't want anyone else to see it. If I am ambivalent about it, I cannot charge anyone for it, so I give it away. If I want to make my art a "business", I need to toughen up about my insecurities.

Years ago I bought a lovely oil painting of Chinese war horse from an artist online. Weeks later she blogged that she regretted selling that painting, but every day I cherish that same painting.

This experience teaches me that I need to adjust my perspectives on my art. It may sound obnoxious to say that I am being selfish about hiding my artwork away when others can appreciate it and love it and value it so much more. It is time for me to grow up and get "out there."

My next "Through the Stages" blog will be about the winner of the Global Sighthound Rescue Artist Portrait Auction's winner and the process of the personalized batik as it goes through its stages.

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is wonderful, thank you so much! I went to craft school and majored in textiles, I don't want to get lost either just a year after graduation. This blog is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you get the black outlines? Did you draw them in? With what. You have beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete